Saturday 21 August 2010

Between Spain and SW1

There comes a time of the year when my thoughts turn to loafers – driving shoes, docksiders, topsiders, deck shoes, whatever. Moccasins. The weather is getting a tad cool for full-foot exposure but sneakers are too much and ballerinas just don't have the arch support. With a couple of transatlantic trips lined up and autumn approaching, I anticipate chilly economy-class cabins, long delays in Immigration, and lots of standing around waiting for flights to be called. I crave comfort- (as opposed to just comfortable) footwear. Moccasins. My favourite place to buy moccasins is in the Saturday morning market at Puerto Banus on the Costa del Sol (above). They're made in light leather, come in dozens of unexpected colours, and cost about ten euro a pop. Recently I found myself loafer-less, thanks to a series of unfortunate events (two pairs succumbed to a bad storage decision and mildew: a third pair were eaten by a puppy named Lola). And thanks to the unreasonable demands of the day job I haven't been able to fit in a flit to Andalucia. So it was time to pay a visit to London's slip-on shoe centre: Blue Velvet on the King's Road.

Blue Velvet (above) stocks smart flat shoes and boots. I am sure there are a few heels in there, but they're not front and centre. Fashion-forward this place aint, but what it is is insanely popular with the Sloane Square ladies who lunch and their daughters who (quite clearly) don't – witness the crowds there this particular August Saturday afternoon.

A few weeks ago I had earmarked a pair of moccasins in teal-blue patent leather. So, it transpired, had the lady trying on next to me. And we wanted the same size. Things could have got a bit unseemly but luckily Blue Velvet knows its clientele very well. It actually lists on the website how many of any particular pair of shoes are in stock. This evening there is one less of the blue leather moccasins number CM24. My feet are feeling very loved-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: