Saturday 14 January 2012

Black velvet (if you please)

If there is one thing nicer than a long lunch with an old friend, it is a long lunch with an old friend combined with some serious shoe shopping. Last time Sadia and I had done any proper shopping together was in Berlin, where she totally failed to stop me maxing my credit card on a pair of Armani pony skin mules (read all about it here). That was ages ago. This time round we were having lunch at
Le Gavroche, which has a three-month waiting list. Sadia, being an exceptionally organised gal, had booked our table even before I’d booked my flight to London for Christmas. Lunch was worth the three-month wait. They pretty much had to kick us out late afternoon.
With our waistlines expanded and our wallets shrunk we meandered up to the Selfridges Shoe Galleries.


Now, I have to say that I don’t think the sales in London this month were all that. So far, the best thing I’d scored was a bath mat (it’s a great bath mat, but still). So I wasn’t holding out major hopes as we trailed around tables groaning under the weight of unwanted Kurt Geiger purple suede wedge sandals and un-discounted Christian Louboutin everything. Until – that moment. When I spotted – them.


All shoe lovers know that moment, when you first catch sight of Them across a loud department store or hushed boutique. The moment when your gaze falls on a pair of shoes that call your name, that say, “You’re the one that I’ve been waiting for. Take me. Now.”


My latest crush is a pair of Alexander Wang “Hannah” black velvet loafer boots.  They have a 6-inch heel and a stretch-velvet “shaft” (I’m not making it up – that’s what it says on the website). They look like something a particularly cool 1970s babysitter would wear. They cost six hundred and fif – whoa! Even Sadia couldn’t make me spend that much in the sales. These were reduced. Way reduced. Cheaper than lunch at Le Gavroche. And very, very tasty.

3 comments:

  1. Love these! Im thinking about getting myself these but how do they fit? Big or small? Comfy? Love the images Xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! So glad you like the pix! Well, these are a size larger than I usually take but they fit nicely. The heels do tip you forward a bit, but there is a substantial hidden platform sole, and those heels are really sturdy and supportive. And the velvet feels great. If you can manage in those Shoemint Pauline wedges on your site, you'll have no trouble with these ;) x

    ReplyDelete

Comments: